Jul. 16, 1877
First Presbyterian Society of Waunakee established
Jacob Buhlman - one of the founding members of the "First Presbyterian Society" of Waunakee - was also a leading citizen in the village. He and his brother, Fred, owned the first business in Waunakee - a dry goods store on Main Street that opened in 1871.
Feb. 17, 1878
Formal organization of FPSW in Gussman’s Hall (carpentry shop located where Koltes Hardware now stands). Rev. B.G. Riley of Lodi is first moderator.
May 6, 1878
Mortgage loan in the amount of $500 secured for purpose of building a church
Aug. 11, 1878
First sacrament of communion administered in new church
Jacob Buhlman (one of the founders) installed as elder and first clerk of session
May 10, 1879
First new member received (Ms. Harriet Clarke)
Aug. 16, 1879
Mr. Daniel Salisbury becomes second new member
Nov. 10, 1881
Rev. Riley completes his duties as moderator. He is succeeded by Rev. J.W. Marcussons.
Oct. 1, 1892
Mr. Barry Thomas begins missionary work at the church. He presides over Sunday school and one weekly service.
Sep. 21, 1899
The FPSW Ladies’ Missionary Society is established. Mrs. Willard Hodge is first president.
The first sidewalks in Waunakee were laid between the Presbyterian church and the Riley home on South street. The $75 cost for the wooden walks was paid by the Presbyterian Ladies’ Missionary Society.
Oct. 1, 1902
Church services suspended due to “poor attendance.” Sunday school continues.
Jan. 20, 1903
Church services resume.
Rev. George Hunt becomes acting pastor. He does double duty at Christ Presbyterian in Madison and arrives every Sunday by train.
Church records lost for most of this decade. Later efforts are made to “reconstruct” key events from this time period.
Feb. 27, 1938
60th anniversary of FPCW is observed.
Jul. 18, 1944
First Presbyterian Church member C.J. Schmidt ceremonially burned the original $500 mortgage for the Fish Street church.
A basement is added to the original church building. This allows for a kitchen, a dining room, restrooms and a furnace room.
Youth Fellowship program began around this time.
Extensive remodeling is done on the church, including replacement of original pews.
Name is formally changed to “First United Presbyterian Church”
Christian Education addition built on to the original church, which included six classrooms, a pastor’s study, restrooms and a Fellowship Hall.
Ecumenical service involving FUPC and St. John’s held as part of Waunakee Centennial celebration. This marked the beginning of the Waunakee Ecumenical Council.
Church roof replaced
Electric carillon installed in church
Congregation decides to study the possibility of a full-time pastor. A mission study was formed under the Madison Presbytery during the fall and winter of 1975-1976, which ultimately recommends the church pursue a full-time pastor.
Dec. 1, 1977
Rev. Stephen Minnema becomes FUPC’s first full-time pastor.
Dec. 31, 1977
Membership reaches 144
The “Connector” is born!
FUPC begins holding two Sunday morning services
A commemorative quilt was made for the John Knox Presbytery, with most of the sewing done by women of FUPC.
Long-divided Presbyterian denomination reunites, and we drop the word “United” from our name to become First Presbyterian Church of Waunakee.
The small sanctuary of the Fish Street church served our needs for many years. But as Waunakee grew, so did the congregation, and it became clear that a new church was needed.
Linda Kuhn succeeds Rev. Minnema to become first female pastor of FPCW.
Rev. Kirk Morledge, a Madison native, is hired as new pastor at FPCW.
Congregation votes to purchase land for a new church building. A campaign is begun to raise the necessary funds.
The First Presbyterian "Building for the Vision" Committee unveiled the design of our new church home in 1991.
FPCW hires its first paid Youth Director, Scott Kirk
Aug. 30, 1992
Dedication of site for new church building
Jul. 8, 1993
Original church sold to Concordia Lutheran Church
Aug. 10, 1993
Ground-breaking held for new church building featuring both the youngest and the oldest members of our congregation.
Mar. 6, 1994
First worship service held in new church
Jun. 5, 1994
First wedding held in new church as Pastor Kirk is married to Faith Miller.
First “Live Nativity” conducted outside the new church.
Sep. 8, 1996
Congregational meeting results in creation of Deacons. Six deacons ordained in January of 1997.
Norm Parsons begins service as first Associate Pastor of FPCW.
Following September 11 attacks, Pastor Kirk is deployed for active duty as Reserve Navy Chaplain in Rota, Spain.
Pastor Kirk returns to FPCW
Dec. 31, 2002
Membership at FPCW reaches 498
FPCW celebrates its 125th anniversary
Oct. 12, 2003
Congregation votes unanimously to proceed with an additional building phase to expand the church.
Dec. 5, 2004
A ground-breaking ceremony for the new expansion is held
Mar. 12, 2006
Dedication service held for new wing of FPCW. Church membership surpasses 600